Wednesday 11 July 2012

Lighting and Rendering: Lighting Tests

Here are some tests for the daytime lighting of the writerRoom environment.

There's still a lot to do: some banding on the walls, grainy edges to the window shadow on the floor, some jaggy edges (sighs).

However, the overall look is getting there.

In general there are so many different approaches that one could take to lighting any given scene that as a beginner l feel a bit like I'm groping in the dark (sorry for the pun!) I wish I had months to explore lighting but I'm going to have to make a choice of approach and stick with it so that I can move on with the project.

This particular scene was lit using physical sun and sky with a spotlight portal light in the window and Global Illumination and Final Gather enabled. I've upped the haze value on the physical sky shader to 1 to warm up the light a bit as it was originally too blue. At the moment raytrace shadows are enabled. Next up I'll experiment with depth map shadows to see what results I get and how it affects render times and will also look at tweaking GI, FG & shadow settings with the hope of improving quality and / or bringing down render times.

Render times are currently just under 3 1/2 minutes. Here are the images. Any comments would be very welcome :)




2 comments:

  1. These look amazing. Totally inspired. (It's stef, the med art student from the maya 3d lab prowling through your blog to avoid doing my own work) I don't know if it's on purpose (if it isn't you really should leave it!) but he rubbish bin hovers a bit, and the duvet too. It adds a tiny touch of magic to the scene. (Love the wood texture design floor as well)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stef, thanks so much for the nice comments (so nice to hear something positive during deadline-hell) and yep, I'd spotted the hovering furniture! Both fixed now :) Hope your work's going well. See you at the degree show if not before

    ReplyDelete