Monday 2 April 2012

Maya Tip - fixing offset centre of interest when tumbling persp camera

Just hit a frustrating problem in Maya, in persp view I hit 'f' to centre on an object but then when I rotate the camera the centre of interest is off, and I quickly lose the object that I'm trying to work on.

Fortunately the excellent polycount forum gave me a fix for this and here it is:

"I run into this occasionally if you hold ctrl and alt to marquis/box zoom then hit f to focus again the rotation point will be properly centered again.
(up and left is zoom out, down and right is zoom in)

I'm not sure exactly why this is but I think it has something to do with the camera object having a scale, as when I've looked in other views the camera object thing changes size when band zooming but not when using the scroll wheel or both mouse buttons, as these actually move the camera closer to the focus point."

And here's the link to the thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53329

7 comments:

  1. This solution didn't help much. Still not being able to rotate around selected in version 2016 drives me totally insane! (And "Tumble on object" checkbox doesn't do anything! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is happening to me too, new "real" cameras work fine but "persp" is messed up grrr... buggy version...

      Delete
    2. This is happening to me too, new "real" cameras work fine but "persp" is messed up grrr... buggy version...

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also suffering from this incessantly, and I can't get any work done.

    Have any solutions been found????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is old but... now using maya 2016 and had the same issue, after some playing I found that selecting the affected camera in the outliner, navigating to the movement options in the attribute editor then setting the tumble pivot 0,0,0 fixes the issue. then next time you press F to focus on an object the tumble pivot updates correctly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also found that sometimes that this isn't enough so then going to the transform attributes, again in attribute editor and set translate and rotation to 0,0,0 and making sure scale is also 1,1,1 fixes that :) hope this works for everyone else!

      Delete